Tuesday, September 12, 2006

CL Campaign Kick off

Now that I am calm, I shall look back at the match against Boro with more positive attitude.

To begin with, Wenger's post match response was making a lot of sense. He often said useless post match stuff but this time he was spot on.

Le Prof said:
"I feel it is terrible for us because we could not win against a team who had one shot on goal but it is like that and we have to redress that problem by using the width of the pitch, by being more penetrative from deeper positions and by being sharper in front of goal."

Yes, yes, and YES! Use the width, more penetration from deeper position. That's what we need. Redress that Sir! Thank you very much.

He also said that there was a huge potential within the team (I think he also said this last season), and this time it makes sense to me. Ian Grant of ANR said that the team towards the end of the match was a totally different team. I agree 2/3 of his comment. Rosicky and Baptista looked interesting but Adebayor was clueless.

I said before that in the situation where the opposition are happy to sit back, we should take Gilberto out and bring Baptista in. The big no. 9 was still adapting to his new teammates last Saturday but I am glad that the idea was there. Wenger's substitution made sense for once.

If it's up to me, I would have kept van Persie though. I would send Rosicky upfront, playing 4-3-3 with Henry on the left and van Persie on the right. Hleb and Cesc would support the attack from deep while Baptista will play Lampard role. Well.. what do I know? I am only a mortal after all.

I have no problem with us not winning. That is football. But I have problem with us not addressing the obvious problems. Now that Wenger has said that he would take care of them, I am a happy man.

Tomorrow we will kick off our CL campaign and I am sure everyone expect Arsenal to repeat last season's trend. It won't be as easy though. We started off last season CL campaign as a big team known for their luckless history in the competition. But today, we are a force everyone are aware of. We have tougher group too. But I reckon we will win our first match.

1 Comments:

Blogger SgGooner said...

Haha. Believe you are not the only Gooner that has calmed down. Yes, I'm also looking towards our Europe adventure as well. And like you, I believe we'll nick a win.

Come On You Gunners!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home